ADVOCATR™ is a tool that students can use to communicate positive and negative school activities that impact their safety and affect school climate. The ADVOCATR™ app was developed based on feedback from students, school personnel, and parents in school communities like yours.
ADVOCATR™ is anchored in the literature on school safety and its premises are simple:
- Student victimization (e.g. bullying, harassment, social isolation) occurs frequently and can escalate into violence.
- Students, more than adults, tend to be aware of the student victimization that occurs in schools.
- Students rarely communicate their knowledge of victimization to adults who could prevent escalation into violence.
- Restorative approaches to conflict resolution can lead to reductions in negative activities.
ADVOCATR™ is part of the SOARS school safety framework. About SOARS
We are grateful for your strong commitment to keeping your school community safe. The team behind ADVOCATR™ wants to express our appreciation for everything you, as teachers, do to ensure that students learn and mature in a physically and emotionally safe environment. We hope that ADVOCATR™ provides a welcome addition to your existing safety practices and can facilitate communications and decisions that are critical to keeping your school community safe. If you want to learn more about how you can bring ADVOCATR™ to your school click here.
If you want to learn more about the SOARS school safety framework, follow these links:
Did you know …
- … what the SOARS framework consists of?
- … that the SOARS framework is derived from research?
- … that the SOARS framework aligns with PBIS?
- … why physical and emotional safety are important for students’ success?
- … what happens when students feel unsafe?
- … that students know a great deal about threats to school safety?
- … what restorative practices in schools look like?
- … that students, staff, and the school can benefit from restorative practices?
- … what it takes to implement the SOARS framework?